The Adler Rheinland Hatchet is an impressive blade for a reasonable price. Adler was founded in 1919 by Josef Schmitt. Ever Adler Axe now bears the “JSW” mark—the “JS” to honor Josef Schmitt and the “W” to signify its time-honored origins in the small village of Wiesental (located just south of the current factory in Waghäusel). In other words, this isn't your standard-fare hardware store axe. This blade has character, history, and craft.
The head shape of the Yankee honors the "Yankee" pattern, thus the name. The ergonomic handle is hewn from US hickory and painted with a unique anti-slip paint pattern for better grip. Each hatchet comes with a heavy-duty leather sheath and a cotton storage bag. We've tried a lot of hatchets and don't know of any at this price-point that come close to the Adler's quality or character.
One more reason to swing an Adler: The Adler paint factory is water-based and wood waste is used to generate the energy (up to 700KW) that runs their factory. Pretty Cool.
- Head weight: 1.5 Lbs
- Total weight: 2.2 Lbs
- Head mount: wood and round metal wedge
- Handle length: 15 inches
- Handle type: US sourced hickory, ergonomic curved shape
- Handle colors: Black (anti-slip) and red
- Sheath: Heavy duty leather with robust buttons (Made in Spain)
- Steel type: C45
- Rockwell hardness of head: 47-55 hrc
- Packaging: Cotton pouch (Made in USA) with instruction manual
- Adler has been awarded a VPA GS Quality Certification. The VPA acts as an objective testing center to assess product quality and safety in accordance with the German Equipment and Product Safety Act.
- Adler has been granted a Forest Stewardship Council Certification (FSC)© which the company renews each year.
Adler is a certified FWI facility ("Deutsches Werkzeug - made in Germany") confirming that the product country of origin is Germany.