What We Like about Kelly Kettle
The Kelly Kettle goes by many names. Some know it as the Ghillie Kettle. Others call it a Volcano stove. Whatever you choose to call it, this ingenious stove is designed to boil water outdoors using twigs, leaves, and other small combustible materials. The Kelly Kettle features a water “jacket” surrounding a fire chamber which creates an upward chimney draft that boils water quickly without electricity or fuel. The Kelly Kettle company is located in Ireland where the Kelly Kettle has been an outdoor cooking essential for Irish Fishermen for generations. Brothers Patrick and Seamus Kelly, the current Directors of the Kelly Kettle company, are the fourth generation of the Kelly family to be associated with their famous Kettle. The two brothers are avid fisherman who love to catch wild trout on the fly and often compete for the Irish International Trout Fly-fishing team. Of course they never go fishing without a Kelly Kettle. Kelly Kettles, once considered the "secret weapon" of Irish fishermen, are now been used all around the world for car camping, overlanding, scouting, and kayaking. Of late, the kettles have also become an essential component for many people’s Emergency Preparedness and disaster kits.
Kelly Kettles Are Perfect for . . .
- Camping: If you are camping and just want a convenient quick way to heat up your water for hydrating food or brewing a cup of coffee the Kelly Kettle is an excellent option. It can deliver about 7 cups of hot water in just a few minutes.
- Backpacking and Hiking: Backpackers and hikers love the small Trekker Kelly Kettle for its light weight and natural fuel burning ability. Never worry about carrying heavy fuel in your backpack again. The Trekker Kettle holds a little over 2 cups of water, which is easily enough far a warm drink or for hydrating a dehydrated a meal.
- Kayaking & Canoeing: When paddling, no one wants to carry any more than necessary. Once again, the Kelly Kettle is ideal because of its light weight, use of natural fuel, and how fast it will boil water when you are exhausted from kayaking all day.
- Fishing and Hunting: The Kelly Kettle was created to quickly produce hot water for coffee and other hot drinks while fishing on the lakes of Ireland. The same is still true today. All three sizes of kettles are well suited for the fisherman or hunter.
- Emergency Preparedness and Survival: The Kelly Kettle is an essential element in any emergency preparedness plan. In an emergency or disaster situation, the most important part of survival is being able to obtain pure water. Without access to other types of fuel such as gas or propane, it may be difficult to get pure water. Since the Kelly Kettle uses only natural fuels, in a disaster you will still have access to ample natural fuel to boil and purify water for drinking, cooking, and personal hygiene.