Originating in South Africa, a skottle is a large, circular cooking disc traditionally used straight over a fire. TemboTusk's modern take on the skottle adds the convenience of gas canister and legs.
If you're unfamiliar with the Skottle, think of a heavy-duty wok and you've got the basic idea. The Skottle is fabricated in the USA and comes pre-seasoned so it can be used immediately.
The Skottle Grill Kit contains the following:
- Skottle Grill (pre-seasoned and ready to go)
- 10,000 BTU Kovea Scout Burner
- Skottle Carry Bag
- Legs (adjustable)
*fuel canisters need to be purchased separately
*All new skottles feature the Kovea Scout Burner (which is different from the original burner that you see in the photos)
Here's what you need to know:
- You can cook pretty much anything on a Skottle that you can cook on a traditional grill but you can also whip up scrambles, fried rice, and noodle dishes. In other words, the skottle pretty much does it all.
- If you plan to cook for more than two people, this is the Skottle for you. If you only plan to cook for one or two people, you might consider the smaller Adventure Skottle.
- TemboTusk pre-seasons each Skottle before shipping them, which means that they arrive ready to cook on.
- The Adventure Skottle pan, legs, and carry bag are all made in the USA.
- Pronunciation: Skaw-Til (Skō Til if you're South African)
- Cool History: The first Skottles were old harrow discs used by South African farmers.
A note from the Get Lost team:
I love the Skottle. I bought this exact kit in 2016 (after seeing it at Overland Expo) and since then it's cooked up delicious meals from Alaska to Maine and plenty of places in between. Over the years, I have lent it to tons of friends without worry because it's so well built. I've seen a few copy-cat skottles out there, but none of them are made in the U.S. and none are as well built as the original.
The Skottle is designed around the Kovea Scout burner. The burner simply hangs in the frame under the bottom of the Skottle pan. The legs are removable. The carry bag holds the Skottle pan, burner and up to four 16oz gas bottles. The legs have a separate storage bag with a Velcro closure.
We are proud to carry the updated Skottle, which is entirely American made. The cooking pan is the same as the original, however, the all American made Skottle Grill features new Adjustable legs. The legs collapse down to 20 inches making them easier to carry and store. Each leg has a hard stop at 29 inches and 36 inches and fine adjustment for uneven ground.
The easiest way to recondition the Skottle is to heat it with cooking oil on a gas or charcoal barbecue at 450 degrees until the oil on the metal stops smoking. Like a Dutch oven or cast iron pan, the more the Skottle is used the better the non-stick cooking surface becomes.
Size: The Skottle is 18” across and stands 28” tall with the legs installed.
Origin: Made in the U.S.A.